First settled around 1750 by David Wilson, the area was part of a land grant straddling Cumberland and York counties. In 1779, Wilson sold the Cumberland County portion of the 148 acres to his son-in-law, John Williams, who built a stone mansion on the south bank of Yellow Breeches Creek about 20 years later.
Just north of the mansion is a 28-acre island within the creek. In the center of this island is a natural spring surrounded by a grove of oak trees. That island was developed into a resort for picnics and social gatherings while the mansion became the focal point for a family-run business that once included a lime kiln, a quarry and two mills.
Amusement park sale brings out sense of nostalgia
Steam engine group buys 90 acres in Williams Grove